Bronson Ave. is gaining a new pedestrian and cyclist crossing south of Colonel By Dr. In addition traffic signals, the improvements include new sidewalks, bicycle lanes, multi-use pathways, streetlights, and modifications to the ramps connecting Bronson to Colonel By and Bronson Pl.
Proposed T-intersection configuration on the west side of Bronson Ave.:
- slows down motorists approaching the southbound Bronson Ave. off-ramp
- improves motorists visibility of pedestrians and cyclists crossing the right-in/right-out intersection
- allows improved and separated bicycle lane and pedestrian facilities
Modified channelized island configuration on the east side of Bronson Ave.:
- slows down motorists approaching the northbound Bronson Ave. right-turn lane
- provides for separate and distinct bicycle and pedestrian pathways
- improves motorists' visibility on approach to the channelized crossing
Modified curb and sidewalk at the Colonel By Dr./Bronson Pl. intersection:
- provides for a standard pedestrian curb ramp at the intersection
- tighter curb radius requires eastbound Colonel By Dr. motorists to slow down when turning right onto Bronson Pl.
- Construction is expected to begin in mid-September.
- The crossing should be functional (substantial performance) by the end of November 2015.
- Final pavement lift (layer) and landscaping will be completed in Spring 2016.
Construction will take place on:
- Bronson Ave. between the Colonel By Dr. overpass and Sunnyside Ave.
- Bronson Pl. between Colonel By Dr. and Fulton Ave.
- Bronson Ave./Colonel By Dr. interchange ramps
Accessibility is an important consideration for the City of Ottawa. Provisions to accommodate pedestrian and cyclists during construction are an integral part of the project. If you require special accommodation, please contact the undersigned.
During the course of construction, impacts to traffic will occur as follows:
- Northbound Bronson Ave. off ramp to Bronson Pl. will be closed for 10 days, with a detour via Sunnyside Ave./Seneca St./Colonel By Dr.
- Periodic lane restrictions will occur on Bronson as part of night work scheduled between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- Southbound Bronson Ave. to Colonel By on- and off-ramp closures will occur periodically during night work hours.
- Bronson Pl. will be restricted to one lane for a short duration during off-peak hours.
To avoid lane restrictions on Bronson during the day, the contractor will work between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m., with periodic lane and ramp closures. While efforts are being made to minimize noise, dust, vibrations and other disruptions to local residents, some of these things will be unavoidable during the course of the work. The contractor has applied for a noise by-law exemption.
For further information about this project, please contact the On-Site Representative below.
Consultant Project Manager
McIntosh Perry Consulting Engineers
Adria Concrete & Paving Ltd
City's Project Manager
Mario Kotowski, P.Eng.
Infrastructure Services Department
100 Constellation Crescent, Ottawa ON, K2G 6J8
613-580-2424, ext. 26075