Lack of federal funding means no community centre for Heron Park

le .

Heron Park won't be getting federal funding to build a new community centre because the project won't be able to meet the deadline.

Heron Park won't be getting federal funding to build a new community centre because the project won't be able to meet the deadline. (Aislinn May/ CBC News)

Heron Park won't be getting long awaited community centre after federal funding was revoked

CBC News

After years of pushing for a new community centre, people in Heron Park will have to keep waiting.

Plans to build a new community centre in the area have been cancelled after federal funding fell through because the project could not be completed by the deadline. 

In September, the Heron Park Community Association was notified by their city councilor David Chernushenko that they wouldn't be getting over $500,000 in federal funding because the project could not be completed by the March 31, 2018 deadline.

The city's request for an extension had been denied by the government. 

"Well we were shocked, absolutely shocked. The wind was knocked out of our sails," said Linda Gama-Pinto, the president of the Heron Park Community Association.

Pinto said that Heron Park has been pushing for a new community centre for years and the neighbourhood has already fundraised more than $5,500 to help pay for the centre. 

Back in 2015 the city applied for federal funding from the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program. The money was meant to support community facilities across Canada in celebration of Canada's 150 anniversary.

Last December David McGuinty, the Member of Parliament for the Ottawa South riding, was able to secure over half a million dollars to help build Heron Park's community centre.

'Stealth' bunkhouse sneaking into Old Ottawa South, says councillor

le .

Karen Stevens-Guille

Karen Stevens-Guille is angry the development next door to her house — seen here to her right — will be a 27-bedroom apartment building. She's wants the builder held to account for assurances made during the approval process that there would be 12 bedrooms. (Susan Burgess)

Expanded six-plex will have 27 bedrooms, instead of the 12 proposed by developer during approval

By Susan Burgess, CBC News

A builder in Old Ottawa South got approval to expand a six-unit apartment building by making assurances it would have only 12 bedrooms, but months later, the number of bedrooms suddenly ballooned to 27.

And David Chernushenko, the councillor for the area, says he's powerless to stop what he calls an "over-development by stealth."

Verbally promised 12 bedrooms

Builder Jordan Tannis wanted to enlarge the six-plex at 177 Hopewell Ave. Last October, his application appeared before the city's committee of adjustment, a council-appointed tribunal that makes decisions on minor planning issues. The project qualifies as an expansion, as opposed to a completely new project, under the city's rules despite the fact that a single wall is the only obvious remaining part of the original structure.

During the hearing, Brian Casagrande — a Fotenn planning consultant hired by the builder — repeatedly assured committee members and concerned neighbours that Tannis intended to fill the renovated building with six two-bedroom units. He said the existing building also had six units, but with eight bedrooms between them.

In an official audio recording of the meeting, he can be heard dismissing concerns of neighbours about a potential tripling of people living on the site, saying "I want the committee to understand that that is not in fact true," and that "the intention of the proposal is to have all two-bedroom units."

Later, he refers to floor plans, saying: "The intention is shown on the plans. This plan here is showing you two-bedroom units."

Moreover, Tannis's intention was to create "a higher-end version of rental units," the consultant told the committee.

"He's not going to want one unit with 10 kids slammed and sandwiched into it," said Casagrande, referring to concerns about student housing given the building's proximity to Carleton University.

Councillor feels hoodwinked

But the latest version of the plans, which came to light just a few weeks ago, paint a very different picture, according to Chernushenko.

Those plans depict five units with four bedrooms each, and another seven-bedroom unit spanning two floors, for a total of 27 bedrooms, according to staff in the councillor's office.

In other words, while the builder had explicitly proposed a 50-per-cent increase in the number of bedrooms when arguing for approval of the plans, the development is now on track for an increase greater than 300 per cent.

The builder "told a nice story, and then went about doing what they wanted to after all," said Chernushenko.

What 177 Hopewell looked like before construction began, according to "planning rationale" documents submitted by the consulting firm Fotenn.

Plan beat bunkhouse law by weeks

The plan with the extra bedrooms was submitted to the city last June, weeks before city council approved an interim control by-law to deal with the problem of so-called "bunkhouses," and which put a one-year freeze on new construction or renovations of a building with a large number of bedrooms.

Neighbours, who have kept an eagle eye on the development for more than a year, accuse the builder of pulling a fast one.

Karen Stevens-Guille, who lives next door to 177 Hopewell, attended meetings and stayed abreast of the entire process, yet discovered the plan for additional bedrooms only by chance.

"I noticed a bunch of new windows in the foundation that weren't there on the plans that I understood had been signed off on by the city," she said.

Stevens-Guille quickly contacted Chernushenko and city staff, who investigated. In late September, Chernushenko's office delivered the news that the city's Building Code Services branch had in fact approved plans for 27 bedrooms.

"I feel completely let down by the City of Ottawa. I feel really betrayed," said Stevens-Guille, adding many people in the community participated in public consultation on the project. "We don't think it's right to be able to promise one thing and build another and for that to be OK, to be allowed to proceed."

Even the early proposal had residents concerned about issues such as increased traffic, a shortage of parking and the storage of garbage on the site, and the latest version of the plan has only intensified those concerns.

The proposed expansion of the six-plex on Hopewell Avenue, from planning rationale documents submitted to the city's committee of adjustment by the consulting firm Fotenn. 

City cannot stop construction

Neighbours might be angry, but the builder has done nothing illegal, according to Doug James, the city's manager of development review.

That's because in its ruling, the committee of adjustment tied its decision only to the size and location of the construction, James said in an e-mail, not to the number of bedrooms.

"No City By-laws were broken and the construction is moving forward in accordance with the plans approved by the Committee of Adjustment," James said.

Asked whether the committee could have opted to include a condition tying the approval to the number of bedrooms, James said yes, but that the plans filed by the committee of adjustment did not include floor plans.

Residents also angry with city

Stevens-Guille isn't buying that excuse, noting that even if the committee's ruling doesn't mention bedrooms, numerous other documents from the city do.

The notice of hearing to residents states: "the number of units will remain at six and the units will be expanded to two and three bedroom units." The same language appears in the pre-amble of the document that contains the committee of adjustment decision.

That language suggests a maximum of 18 bedrooms was contemplated, more than discussed by Casagrande at the meeting but a third fewer than the 27 currently planned.

Jeff Tobin, who also lives right next to 177 Hopewell, said assurances from the city about the number of bedrooms influenced his decision to buy the house last December.

His realtor reached out to the committee of adjustment, Tobin said, and quickly relayed to him exterior plans for the house next door, along with the information that it would have six units of two to three bedrooms each.

"If we had any knowledge of the bedroom count or even the knowledge that all that had been approved was the building size with no restrictions on bedrooms, we would not have purchased the home," Tobin said in an email.

'We're not doing anything sneaky': developer

The builder arrived at 177 Hopewell shortly after CBC began an interview with Stevens-Guille.

Tannis declined to have his comments filmed or recorded, but adamantly denied he had ever presented a plan for the number of bedrooms, and that in any case it's not the place of the committee of adjustment to regulate a building's interior.

"We're not doing anything sneaky or tricky," he said. "We're following the rules the city puts forward."

Tannis also told CBC that "stories like this give credence to complainers and I think it's not fair." It's also unfair to discriminate against students when building housing, he said.

The city does need to change the rules around how developments are approved, Chernushenko said, but he also took a shot at builders on the lookout for loopholes.

"Someone who has an intent to shoehorn as many people (as they can) onto a property and maximize their rental income out of it is going to keep looking for them," Chernushenko said. "The city has always got to be trying to stay ahead of it, and then closing them as quickly as we can."

Stevens-Guille warned if things don't change, other communities are at risk.

"This can happen anywhere in Ottawa," she said. "It's not just us. It has nothing to do with our precise neighbourhood."

App tells Ottawa residents what kind of trash to put at the curb

le .

The city has launched an app to tell people what kind of trash — blue box, black box, green bin and residual waste — is being collected each week.Chris Mikula / The Ottawa Citizen

Jon Willing, Ottawa Sun

Determined to make recycling easier for residents, the City of Ottawa has launched an app that simply tells people what type of trash to put at their curbs each week.

Coun. David Chernushenko, chair of council’s environment and climate protection committee, called it the “one-stop shop” for garbage.

The app, which is called Ottawa Collection Calendar, was produced by ReCollect Systems and is available on Apple and Android devices.

It’s hard to say if an app will boost the city’s waste diversion rate.

The information is already on the city’s website, which includes a calendar that tells people what kind of garbage is being picked up on their collection days. Plus, there’s at least one app already created by a developer using city open data on the collection schedules.

Chernushenko said the city needs to “check off the ‘easy’ box” in helping people navigate the collection schedule.

The city suddenly has a heightened focus on garbage programs, particularly after community group Waste Watch Ottawa discovered the city’s diversion rate was low compared to other Ontario cities and regions.

Just as concerning, only about half of Ottawa residents are using their green bins to divert organic waste.

An app won’t help people figure out when to put out their green bins since the city empties the containers each week. The app will, however, help people figure out when to put out their trash cans, blue boxes and black boxes since those pickups are biweekly.

The city also has an opportunity to push more waste-related messages to residents through the app. For example, a message currently on the app tells people there’s a hazardous waste depot on Saturday at the Barrhaven snow dump on Strandherd at Kennevale drives.

Chernushenko was surprised to learn only about 66,000 people had signed up for a reminder service through the city’s website. He hopes the new app will give people another option to keep tabs on the collection schedule, rather than looking down the street to see what bins neighbours are putting out.

According to the city, there was no additional cost for the app since it was created under an existing service agreement with ReCollect Systems.

Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser.

twitter.com/JonathanWilling

Downtown councillors ponder possibilities of steeper tax hike

le .

 
About 100 people attended a municipal budget consultation hosted by five inner-city councillors at Ottawa city hall. (Matthew Kupfer/CBC)

Public consultation held to ask whether residents would tolerate an extra 1% tax increase

By Matthew Kupfer, CBC News

City councillors and residents from Ottawa's five central wards spent Tuesday evening exploring the ways in which the city could spend extra tax dollars if the mayor and rest of council ever loosen their grip on the annual tax increase, currently capped at two per cent.

About 100 people attended the meeting at city hall to hear five pitches including improved winter maintenance, long-term arts funding, sustainable funding for new social services organizations, affordable housing and transitioning to cleaner energy.

Urban core councillors host budget consultation
The meeting was hosted by Rideau-Rockcliffe Coun. Tobi Nussbaum, Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury, Capital Coun. David Chernushenko, Somerset Coun. Catherine McKenney and Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper.

They asked the crowd to consider paying one per cent more than they currently do in taxes — adding $14 million to city revenue and an expense of $35 per year for the average homeowner.

Green energy, new social enterprises

The most popular pitches were a $4 million capital investment in affordable housing, the renewable energy plan and supporting new social service organizations.

Janice Ashworth, general manager of the Ottawa Renewable Energy Co-op, said the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce is urging council to work on the energy transition.

She sketched out a $1.5 million plan to spend on electric car charging stations, a sustainability audit office, a tower retrofit program to improve energy efficiency and net-metering for solar energy.

"Let's take advantage of this money-making opportunity, let's stop wasting taxpayer dollars literally in smokestacks or in wasted heat from inefficient light bulbs," she said.